What could be the best flooring other than grind and seal concrete when you want a sturdy floor that is also decorative, attractive, long-lasting, and adds elegance to your space. This flooring option is gaining more popularity across the world for its low maintenance and durability.
All these pros of a grind and sealed concrete floor add value when the floors are correctly installed and sealed. Since concrete is porous, sealing is an important part of the concrete flooring process. This is what makes the floor last long when maintained properly.
A sealed concrete floor also keeps off stains from liquid spills, becomes easy to clean especially grease, grime and dirt and gives a sheen to the floor. Licensed and experienced professional technicians are the best people for this job.
In this blog, we will see how these experts carry out the process of doing a sealed concrete floor. Keep reading! By the end of the blog, you will have a fair idea about sealers and the sealing process.
Selecting the correct sealer
The type of sealer used for the sealing work determines the quality, finish, and appearance of a sealed concrete floor. There are four kinds of sealers that fall into two main categories which are:
1. Topical sealant: These are either rolled or sprayed on the floor. When the sealant dries, it sticks to the floor forming a protective film. Three main topical sealants are:
- Acrylic: Inexpensive, are either water or solvent-based, easy to apply, used for interior floors, less stain protection, not an effective sealant compared to others.
- Epoxy: Recommended for most floors. Extremely durable, abrasion-resistant, liquid-impermeable, stain-resistant. Clear and glossy colours are available.
- Polyurethane: UV-protective coating that may be applied on both the inside and outside of a building. There are matte, semi-gloss, and gloss finishes available.
2. Penetrating sealant: Silane or siloxane sealers that penetrate the concrete. Strengthens the floor, is completely invisible, can be used with topical sealants, lasts for more than 20 years, protects the floor against deterioration and stains.
Grind and seal concrete floor experts know exactly what type of sealant is required based on the floor’s condition. They begin the sealing procedure after selecting the sealant, and procedure is as follows:
The floor must be prepared correctly. This is the first key step as it determines how well the floor will hold the sealant. The two steps of floor preparation are:
- Floor cleaning: The floor is cleaned properly, using concrete cleaners to cut away all dirt and grime. A thorough mopping is done, and the surface is left to dry.
- Removing old sealant: If there is an old sealant on the floor, it is removed using a chemical stripper. The floor is left to dry for a minimum of 24 hours.
In between, the floor is repaired of damages. All visible cracks are filled up properly. If required, the floor is pressure washed.
After the floor is ready, the sealant is applied to the floor. Warm and dry weather facilitates the sealing process. Experts always prefer to apply the sealant with the roller brush. This helps with the even distribution of the product. Here is what they do during the application process:
- They ensure proper ventilation of the room. If required, they arrange artificial ventilation as the fumes from the sealants must not be inhaled.
- A painter’s tape is pasted all along the edges of the floor and the wall. This prevents sealers from sticking to the wall.
- The room is divided into sections. This eases the application process. Experts start from the farthest walls and work their way out towards the door.
- A paintbrush is used to apply sealant along the edges, corners, and places where the roller brush will not do the work.
- The sealant is applied in a thick layer and left to dry for 24 hours. A second thin coat is applied for an even and smooth finish.
- The second coat is applied at right angles which ensures proper coverage. It may take a couple of days for the sealant to dry completely.
After the sealant dries up completely, the sealed concrete floor is ready to use and has an improved appearance. This contributes to the elegance and attractiveness of the space.
This is a quick look at the process that experts follow when sealing a ground concrete floor. So, you now have an idea about floor sealers and the sealing process. But as said, professional people are the best for the job, Independent Concrete Solutions is the best place to get a concrete floor sealed.
Equipped with the latest machines and techniques, they have experts who can get a grind and seal concrete floor done in Melbourne perfectly.